The new digital realm is rewriting the rules of businesses where innovative technologies have a prominent role in overall value creation. Data-related activities are not only a central feature of the production process but a key aspect of economic activity. There is not any doubt that the digital era is creating numerous new opportunities for the economy and society but, at the same time, introducing new challenges.
According to the 2021 World Economic Forum’s Global Risks Report, cyber risks continue ranking among global risks. Whereas the COVID-19 pandemic has accelerated technological adoption, it has also exposed cyber vulnerabilities, the lack of agile solutions to dire problems, as well as exacerbating the tech inequalities within and between societies.
However, good news is on the horizon. Thanks to the introduction of new architectures and patterns, the ICT industry is bringing more agility in the creation and management of new products and digital services that can easily be combined together to create more complex business chains. Their growing complexity and multi-domain nature make these systems even more vulnerable to security breaches and cyber-attacks.
To discuss the challenges and opportunities of cyber security, FIWARE, supported by the GUARD Project and Cyberwatching.eu, is bringing together cybersecurity experts to review innovative, integrated, and holistic approaches for a Secure And Trusted Digital Single Market, outlining the principles that are guiding the EU action in this domain.
14:00 – 14:10 — Welcome and Introduction
14:10 – 14:30 — Keynote Speech
14:30 – 14:55 — Expert Session: “The European observatory of research and innovation in the field of cybersecurity and privacy”, Cyberwatching
- 14:30 – 14:40 — Nick Ferguson (Senior Project Manager, Trust-IT Services)
- 14:40 – 14:50 — “Understanding the Cybersecurity research and Innovation landscape as supported by Horizon 2020 program” by Prof. David Wallom (Associate Professor, Department of Engineering Science, University of Oxford)
- 14:50 – 14:55 — Q&A Session
14:55 – 15:15 (including 5-min. Q&A) — Expert Session by Prof. Yaron Wolfsthal (Head, IBM Cyber Center of Excellence & Ben-Gurion Univ. and Head, IBM Innovation Ventures, Israel)
15:15 – 15:30 (including 5-min. Q&A) — “Application of GUARD in the emerging ICT market sectors” by Paolo Secondo Crosta (Innovation Manager, R&D Manager, R&D&I Project Funding Manager, Italtel Group)
15:30 – 15:50 — GUARD Project Use Cases
- 15:30 – 15:40 — Mobility Use Case by Cornelio Hopmann (Senior Software Engineer Technical Lead, Wobcom GmbH)
- 15:40 – 15:50 — eHealth Use Case: “Enhancing security and privacy in eHealth sector” by Armend Duzha (Senior R&D Project Manager, Gruppo Maggioli)
15:50 – 16:00 — Closing Remarks